In this video, Face Yoga coach Niki Terlich shows how you can both prevent and reduce "frownies", that is, the wrinkles between the brows and forehead wrinkles with face yoga exercises and our crystal face roller.
The textured end of the crystal roller is particularly effective in loosening up the tense muscles causing the wrinkles.
WHY DO YOU GET FROWNIES?
Excessive tension in the frontalis, corrugator and procerus muscles contributes to both horizontal brow lines and vertical wrinkles between the brows. An overactive frontalis, which constantly raises the eyebrows, also affects the neighboring orbicularis oculi muscle, which becomes strained and limp. This causes loose or drooping eyelids, asymmetrical eyes, and a lack of toning of the eye area in general.
NIKI'S 1. TIP AGAINST THE WORRY LINE - FROWNIES PATCHES
Frownies patches is a patch you stick between the brows and on the forehead before going to sleep, to smooth out the wrinkles and prevent you from forming tension wrinkles at night. It may sound a little crazy, but it works! They are available on amazon.com
NIKIS' 2. TIP TO REDUCE WRINKLES - FACIAL EXERCISES FOR THE CORRUGATOR MUSCLE
Brow press is the name of the face yoga exercise to reduce worry line between the brows. In addition, the exercise strengthens the orbicularis oculi muscle, and balances and relaxes the frontalis, corrugator and procerus muscles. As a bonus, it helps the frontalis extend downwards which also reduces frown lines.
How to do the face yoga exercise
- Place the lower part of the palms on top of the eyebrows to cover as much of the brow as possible.
- Relax the forehead and place your fingers over the forehead.
- Squeeze the palms of your hands against your forehead and gently pull the muscle and skin outwards and upwards to extend the area between the eyebrows. Keep the pressure.
- Squeeze the eyes together and try to move the eyebrows downward with the muscles while the hands provide resistance by pulling out and up.
- Hold the tension in the muscles for 30 seconds, relax and repeat the exercise.
- If you want to learn more face yoga exercises, take a look at the Holistic Skin Therapist school's basic course in face yoga here as well as training for the Face Yoga instructor here.
NIKI'S 3. TIP TO REDUCE THE 11 LINES- MASSAGE WITH FACE ROLLER
In addition to rolling the Glow roller over the 11s just like Niki does in the video, it is also perfect to use while watching Netflix, as the Glow roller is super easy and fast to use. Look at it a bit like an "all in one" face roller, which both boosts blood circulation with its textured end and removes fluid and lymph buildup with its smooth side.
The textured side (the nubby or comb end of the face roller)
Use it where you want to stimulate blood flow. This massage technique provides extra nourishment to the skin and an enhanced glow. Use the comb side where the skin needs a little extra glow and vitality, such as forehead, pigmentation, old acne scars, neck and chin.
The smooth crystal end
This smooth crystal side of the Glow roller you probably know from the ordinary jade roller or rosequartz roller and it is used for gentle lymphatic drainage as well as for tense facial muscles and to cool the skin after using the textured side. Lymphatic drainage helps the lymph fluid to move in the right direction. It removes fluid and build up from the face, giving a clean and clear look. Relaxing tense muscles in the face prevents wrinkles as they arise from repeated tension on the face.
Niki uses the Amethyst glow roller in the video, read more about it here.